No need to stand in the long bakery lines when you can make Sourdough Bread at home! Not only do you get incredible and delicious bread but you also can enjoy the baking process too.
- 100g sourdough starter
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 450 grams organic white flour
- 50 grams organic white spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large bowl add water and starter. Mix with a spatula.
2. Add the flours & salt and mix together using the spatula to form a rough dough. Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. For the next 2 hours, every 30 minutes perform the stretch & folds within the bowl. Grab a corner of the dough lift it up & bring it into the middle. Do this 4-5 times every 30 minutes. Total of 4 stretch & folds in 2 hours.
4. Cover with a damp towel & let rise for the next 8 - 10 hours at room temperature. The dough is ready when it has doubled in size & has a few bubbles on the surface and jiggles from side to side.
5. Lightly flour the bench and remove the dough from the bowl. Stretch it out, lift it out & into the middle & turn. Do the same thing until you have done all corners, then use the dough scraper & roll around creating tension into a ball. Place seam side up & leave for 30 minutes uncovered
6. Flour generously a proofing basket with rice flour or rye flour. Repeat the above process for the dough & place into proofing basket seam side up. Cover & place in fridge.
7. Dough can be refrigerated up to 48 hours. 16 hours is perfect. Heat oven with a dutch oven inside at 230° celsius. Take a piece of baking paper, loosen the bread and turn out onto baking paper. Score the loaf with your design choice. Place in dutch oven, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for a further 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, tap base of loaf - it should feel hollow. Let rest for 1 hour. Enjoy!!