Best Ever Soft Honey Cookies by Tahni
Great all year round, especially on Rosh Hashana if you're looking for a twist on your classic honey cake.
- 150 g honey
- ¾ cup oil
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice – optional
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius
2. Mix honey, oil, egg and sugar
3. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and spices. Blend to make a dough.
4. Roll 1 tsp of dough into a ball
5. Place on cookie sheet, and repeat with remaining dough
6. Bake until the bottom of the cookies are lightly brown, or for around 8 minutes.
7. Let cool completely
This is a nice touch but optional. The cookies are honestly delicious without it, as well. Note – this recipe makes about 3 cups of caramel. You won’t need that much for your cookies, so feel free to halve it or even fourth it… or just eat the remaining caramel!
- 4 tablespoons butter/ margarine
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Place sugar and water in a large saucepan over high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until sugar dissolves
- Once sugar is dissolved, bring to a boil
- Continue to boil until sugar mixture turns a deep amber colour after anywhere from 6-15 minutes. Swirl the pan occasionally, but don’t stir it. When you see pale yellow streaks, then darker ones appear in the bubbling sugar, pick up the pan and swirl.
- At the first wisp of smoke, remove the sugar from the heat. It should be a dark amber – but not burnt. Add in the cream – but carefully. The cream is going to make the whole mixture bubble up and fizz. Whisk cream continuously.
- Add butter and salt
- Return to heat for 5 minutes to reduce – this is optional.
- Place cooled caramel in a plastic bag, or just use a knife, and ice honey cookies.
- Enjoy! These cookies should keep for at least 3 days, if stored in an airtight container.